Monday, July 23, 2012

the garden and other things


So the garden has grown like crazy due to the warm weather and responsible watering via the sprinkler. 


This is half of the basil we picked on Saturday morning. Dave and I made a basil//spinach pesto using this recipe. No photo as we were hungry and in a rush to make it to the Andrew Bird concert. I think Patrick Watson (opener) was actually better live. Fantastic music.


Another never-ending project...


I'm still on the search for the perfect granola bar, and it hasn't been that successful. These bars were really easy to make but held together best if eaten right out of the freezer. I think the ratio of wet:dry ingredients is something I need to work on a bit.


And continuing the minimal cooking around here: homemade whole wheat flatbreads + homemade hummus topped with spinach, lentil salad, and red onion. 

homemade hummus [adapted from this recipe]

  • 2 cloves garlic
  • 1 can garbanzo beans + 1/2 cup liquid
  • 4 tablespoons lemon juice
  • 3 tablespoons tahini
  • 1 teaspoon cumin

Blitz everything in the food processor. You shouldn't need salt if you use the liquid from the beans (half).


whole wheat flatbread [here are the proper instructions; i take shortcuts]

1.25 cups whole wheat flour
1/4 cup oil
1 teaspoon salt
1/2 cup warm water

Mix wet and dry ingredients. Divide into 6 equal pieces (here you're supposed to let the dough rest, but I didn't really care, so I skipped this). Use a rolling pin (or bottom on a flat pan) to make the dough into a round shape (ha, or egg shaped). Grease a frying pan and heat to desired doneness.


I also made yogurt last week, and it was so easy! Post on that process to come. Get ready to make the best Greek yogurt ever.

emily

14 comments:

  1. A Greek yogurt recipe would rock! You're lucky your garden is doing well. This heat is making it hard for my container plants to grow. :(

    ReplyDelete
  2. So many great recipes, you've been busy in the kitchen! And I can't wait to see the Greek yogurt recipe. I made it once, but only buy straining my regular yogurt :) Yeah, I cheated. It was tasty though!

    ReplyDelete
  3. Fresh pesto, homemade hummus... I really need to get a food processor!

    ReplyDelete
  4. wow! looks like you've been eating some great meals and fresh food!

    ReplyDelete
  5. What good summer eats! I miss my kitchen with my food processor. I also really miss fresh food. I've been eating a lot of fermented stuff here, and I'm kind of sick of it, blech.

    I'm excited for the greek yogurt recipe!

    ReplyDelete
  6. Awesome looking treats. I really need to make my own granola bars and yogurt too.

    ReplyDelete
  7. I always like seeing how you bring energy and creativity to recipes. I am eating vegan this month and absolutely love bars held together with dates, honey, nut butters, banana and oats.

    I am missing yogurt, however! I love my homemade yogurt, but that's a no no for vegans. I wonder if you could help out with that?
    Happy of your concert going of Andrew Bird....how awesome is that?

    ReplyDelete
  8. Such great eats! I'm a tad bit jealous of your garden! I can't wait for the day I have one... For now, I have to be happy with my farm share :)

    Sues

    ReplyDelete
  9. looks like you are having a good summer! i love how you are so adventerous! i want to try making homemade bread but i need to get a mixer. also, i want to try making coconut milk yogurt since all the ones in the store have so much sugar in them! looking forward to your recipe!

    ReplyDelete
  10. I love gardens...and homemade granola bars! I struggle with heavy ingredients too...can't wait to see a winning recipe when you've discovered it :)

    ReplyDelete
  11. Awesome eats! I love all the easy, homemade goodness :)

    ReplyDelete
  12. Isn't homemade yogurt the best?! Glad to see such a happy harvest from your garden. I hope you are keeping cool in this heatwave.

    ReplyDelete
  13. love your adventures in the kitchen so healthy :-)

    ReplyDelete
  14. Hi Emily! Hope you are well. I stopped blogging (Coconut Crumbs) but was happy to re-visit yours recently. I just made the granola bar recipe this afternoon! Hope you are well and still enjoying dietetics. Still in pediatrics? Best, Rachel

    ReplyDelete

Leave a comment; I'd love to hear from you!