Wednesday, June 20, 2012

seriously, summer?!


Alrighty, friends. It is straight up 97 degrees in the city. Craziness, and I'm craving breezy summers by the lakeshore. What the heck does a girl do when the temps climb...and there's no air conditioning? Eat popsicles? Take showers (hourly)? Run around in minimal clothing? Create a person windstorm with fans? 

I'm seriously considering wimping out and just buying a window air conditioning unit. 

In the meantime, it's smoothies and showers and fans for me.

And cold food. Only cold food is allowed this week. Lately, the simple Mediterranean combo has been appealing. Cherry tomatoes, feta cheese, avocado, and a splash of red wine vinaigrette. It's great by itself but even better on top of a giant pile of lettuce. 


Beverages in ball jars: classy summer. This is how I'm drinking everything from now on. I think this recipe or this one would be pretty amazing. And I'm still drinking gazpacho...


Another fantastic use for ball jars...soap containers. Use a hammer and screwdriver to punch a hole through the lid of a jar until wide enough to fit an old pump from a soap container or lotion bottle. It makes washing your hands so much more exciting; I promise. 


In case you still need chocolate, here's a no-bake recipe for you (based on this recipe). This is probably the easiest recipe ever. Beware that they will not set if your apartment is 86 degrees; that's what freezers are for. Not the prettiest cookies ever, but they make great pre-run fuel. 


no-bake {vegan} cookies
  • 3/4 cup sugar
  • 1/4 cup peanut butter or mixture of PB and tahini
  • 2 tablespoons coconut oil
  • 1/4 cup almond milk
  • 1 tablespoon vanilla extract
  • 1 1/2 cups rolled oats
  • 3 tablespoons cocoa powder
Instructions
  1. In a small sauce pan combine the first four ingredients and heat over medium-low heat until the peanut butter/coconut oil is melted and the mixture is hot (4-5 minutes.) Remove from heat and stir in vanilla.
  1. In a separate bowl combine the rolled oats, cocoa powder, and espresso powder. Pour the hot peanut butter mixture over the oats and stir until every piece of oat is covered and chocolate is well incorporated. Use a spoon and drop cookies onto a surface covered in parchment paper and flatten them out slightly. Let cool.


p.s. I'll be here this weekend, among other activities. What are you doing this weekend? 

18 comments:

  1. Wow, that sounds pretty miserable. How are you surviving without an AC unit??? (Korea is apparently in a heatwave, but I don't think it has gotten over 90 here. Who knows.)

    I say popsicles!!!

    And I'm really sad I can't do that jar soap dispenser thing RIGHT NOW. :(

    ReplyDelete
  2. These are really good ideas for keeping cool. I've been spraying my son down with a hose and he has been loving the cold water. I'd be taking showers throughout the day or maybe a relaxing cold bath.

    ReplyDelete
  3. You should come on over to my apartment sometime. We can bake in an air-conditioned kitchen. :)

    ReplyDelete
  4. the Mediterranean combo sounds delish, need to try that.
    it's crazily hot here in dc too, but fortunately I'm in air conditional environment 99% fe time, it desuse ill melt down.

    ReplyDelete
  5. No AC in your apartment? Seriously?! I say, get a window AC! I don't mind it during the day, but being hot when I'm trying to sleep is the worst thing in the world for me.
    I'm with you on the COLD foods and drinks. I've been making salads and I even made a smoothie yesterday (I haven't had a smoothie in quite a while).
    I LOVE your soap pump idea!! So clever (so Emily :) )

    ReplyDelete
  6. We're feeling the 90+ degree heat in southern Michigan, too! UGH. Our AC was broken for a few days but thankfully our landlord had it fixed yesterday... if I were you I'd probably cave in and buy a unit, especially since this is only the beginning of summer! I'm all about mojitos, too. Yum. And hello to that Mediterranean chickpea combo. Double yum.

    ReplyDelete
  7. have a great weekend and oh my no AC your braver than me

    ReplyDelete
  8. Nice blog!

    *Sheinside giveaway on my blog!*

    ReplyDelete
  9. I made your no bake cookies today...with mashed banana in it. LOVELY! Thank you!

    Can't imagine that much heat! It is "hot" here in Germany at 70 degrees!

    ReplyDelete
  10. What is it about drinking from a jar that is so awesome? I don't know myself, but I totally agree with you!

    ReplyDelete
  11. We just had the same kind of heat wave in Ottawa and I think we did the same things to beat the heat! Cold food, showers and fans! I'm glad it's a bit cooler now.

    Emilie
    www.liveeatsmile.blogspot.com

    ReplyDelete
  12. hope you're staying cool- I definitely stock up on popsicles during the summer and try to eat lots of cold foods as well!

    ReplyDelete
  13. I hear ya! We made it through our heat wave...ended just in time...I don't think I could have lasted much longer.

    Do share if you try the sweet basil lemonade! What an amazing idea...

    ReplyDelete
  14. I feel you, luckily there's been some rain today so it got a bit colder.

    http://www.tamarasblend.com/

    ReplyDelete
  15. Ooh I love the ball jar/soap container idea!

    Hope you can cool down soon :)

    ReplyDelete
  16. so gorgeous, lovely lovely blog.
    I'm kind of a new around here.. would you like to visit me?

    http://modacontagiante.blogspot.pt/

    ReplyDelete
  17. I hear ya with the horribly hot temps! I can't imagine it with no AC ... yikes! Hope you've found a way to keep cool :)

    ReplyDelete
  18. I wish it was that hot here. It's been in the 60's, and I really want to get a chance to not have to wear a sweater when I leave the house. The wind makes it feel extra cold. But when it does get hot here, we don't have AC either. Base housing here is no AC, and even if so, they ask us to keep electricity use to a minimum to conserve still after the tsunami last year. It's not so bad since we have some air flow, but when you start cooking in the kitchen it gets pretty bad.

    ReplyDelete

Leave a comment; I'd love to hear from you!