Wednesday, February 8, 2012

february so far

Well, hello February.

January was a busy month as evidenced by my lack of blogging. This warm winter has been fantastic, though, especially because I walk to work. A couple of weekends ago we did finally get some snow, but it’s completely gone now.

IMG_0644

I don’t know if you’ve tried lentil hummus yet, but I’ve been a bit obsessed with it lately. It’s also really inexpensive to make, probably even less expensive than homemade bean hummus ($0.12/oz). The last time I did a comparison this = 3x cheaper than storebought hummus.  

IMG_0636

With the new month, I’ve noticed a change in breakfast patterns. I have been on 3 different breakfast kicks since starting this blog during grad school in 2009.

  • [2007-2010] oatmeal in every way imaginable
  • [2010-2011] egg + toast
  • [2012] green smoothies are making a comeback

IMG_0650

I have to admit that this latest kick has been inspired by convenience and trying to streamline my morning routine.

Overnight, I refrigerate directly in the blender container:

  • 1/2 cup oats,
  • ~1 cup almond milk
  • 1 cup of raw kale
  • 1 T peanut butter
  • 1 banana
  • cinnamon, and a little vanilla extract

In the morning, I just turn the blender on, and breakfast is served in 2.5 seconds.  

Do you eat the same thing every day for breakfast?  

IMG_0637

And I’ve been doing a lot of thinking lately about food and the standard American diet (SAD), how nutrition is a simple yet seemingly impossible solution to a wealth of diseases, how we have the power to take control of our health yet continually choose quick fixes, and how we have to make decisions about whether or not what we buy at the grocery store is real food. Nutrition isn’t simple stuff anymore.

The ready availability of energy dense, nutrient poor junk food and fast food doesn’t help anything. I know a lot of these thoughts are coming from frustration after reviewing a lot of diet records filled with processed products, but it just makes me sad that so many people truly don’t know what it looks like to eat things that don’t come out of packages and boxes…and for that matter, why the American Dietetic Association even promotes some of these products. Personally, I find that incredibly shameful, and it’s part of the reason I’m no longer a part of that organization (still a registered dietitian, just not a formal member of the ADA).

But enough on that…in other [good] news, my ankle is nearly healed; thanks for all the well wishes. Running is such a huge outlet for me, and I’m glad that it can be part of life again. And I’ll try to be more careful this time. ;)

0

15 comments:

  1. I'm all for recognizable real food --- like that food on the table in your last photo!

    ReplyDelete
  2. I've been changing a lot my breakfast combos too, haven't found the perfect one, or maybe the perfect one just a variety of them.
    glad to know that your ankle is healing and you will be able to run soon.
    I think the work load of Americans really contributes to their bad diet choices. many tines the convenient food was created to target this people precisely. if everyone have time to prepare food at home, then the market for processed food would be much smaller.

    ReplyDelete
  3. Glad to hear you are doing well Emily. I miss you!!! I sometimes can't believe it's been so long since I've seen you. My goodness.
    Anyway....isn't it ironic how the "Standard American Diet" writes out the word SAD?? It fits quite well. It really is sad. Sometimes I think people like Dr. Oz make nutrition even more confusing, as apposed to less confusing. All of the mixed messaging has GOT to STOP!

    Regarding the smoothies, I do that for Nick every week (make him 4 smoothies and put them in the fridge for his mornings). I tried adding PB to his smoothie once and the PB FREAK didn't like it. I was so puzzled. I love your combination above. I might try it myself!

    ReplyDelete
  4. Wow...good for you! Even taking a small stand, and sending a small message is important.

    I must try lentil hummus!!!

    ReplyDelete
  5. mm that smoothie sounds delicious. you carlsons gotta watch out for your ankles!

    ReplyDelete
  6. green smoothie sounds delicious! i totally go on breakfast kicks too. i usually will have the same thing for about a month. i'm back to warm oatmeal with cinnamon and 2 tbsp of almond butter. mmm! i know what u mean - quick and cheap fixes cater to unhealthy eating... which makes it hard for ppl to eat better. :T i hope you are well, emily!

    ReplyDelete
  7. I'm so glad I've started following your blog, Emily! You seriously help keep me conscious of what I put in my body and share great things like lentil hummus. Who knew?! So, thanks for that.

    I usually stick to routine when it comes to my breakfast... oatmeal with cinnamon and nuts or some sort of nut butter on wholegrain flaxseed toast. Always with a banana and coffee. I've been wanting to make breakfast smoothies for a while now, but I never want to deal with all the prep work in the morning. I love your idea of preparing everything the night before and blending it in the morning. Brilliant.

    ReplyDelete
  8. I am adding your blog to my following RIGHT now. I LOVE your photo collage at the top...what did you use?

    Yep. I am a routine person myself. Love yogurt, and cereal/oats/muselei/granola/fruit mix. OR peanut butter on some type of bread.

    I eat a lot of oatmeal, but as a snack in the mid-afternoon. For me, I mix in different things but almost always, nuts, maple syrup and apples.

    ReplyDelete
  9. It's funny because I don't think that a healthy diet is really all that hard to master, yet all the mixed messages and random food available at grocery stores makes it hard for people to figure out what really is healthy. I always tell people that nutrition isn't rocket science, and if it seems too good to be true, it probably is.

    And don't even get me started about adding fiber to Splenda...really??

    ReplyDelete
  10. It's either cereal or oatmeal for me with a yogurt basically every morning.

    ReplyDelete
  11. It's either cereal or oatmeal for me with a yogurt basically every morning.

    ReplyDelete
  12. It's either cereal or oatmeal for me with a yogurt basically every morning.

    ReplyDelete
  13. I'm glad to hear that your ankle is doing better. What a clever idea you have for the breakfast blend. Simple, fast and delicious.

    ReplyDelete
  14. I totally agree with you about all the processed crap. People get confused because companies package something up (automatically making them less healthy) and then call the "low fat" or "natural." It's a shame. That lentil hummus looks delicious...I've never tried that before.

    ReplyDelete
  15. We usually have 3 or so things that we rotate for breakfast. That pre-blender mix sounds like such a great idea! I'm with ya on the processed crap and to be honest IMO the food supply, powered by several giant companies, is so devoid of any kind of minerals anymore which is causing a lot of problems as well. Our bellies are overly full of crap and yet our bodies are undernourished. It is sad.

    ReplyDelete

Leave a comment; I'd love to hear from you!