Wednesday, November 16, 2011

adventures in pasta making

Making food with other people is one of my favorite things ever. There’s just something fantastic about taking time to cook good food in a culture which thrives on fast-paced everything.

IMG_0402 

The fact that this from-scratch dinner was created on a Friday night post an exhausting work week was especially significant. I guess that would explain {in part} why I made and then forgot a pan of garlic bread in the oven…until the next morning. Croutons, anyone?

Other people kept themselves entertained by riding my bike around the living room and rearranging furniture. So helpful.

IMG_0407

Homemade pasta is tricky. We used whole wheat flour, which made the noodles more dense, but they were still delicious. We also didn’t end up using the extruder attachment because the dough was pretty sticky. Any tips from seasoned pasta experts?

IMG_0414

vegetarian pasta sauce [dave made this, and it was deeelish]

  • 2 T. olive oil, divided
  • 1/4 cup chopped onion
  • 1 clove garlic, finely minced
  • 1/2 cup chopped fresh basil
  • 1 T. flour
  • 2 cups unsweetened almond milk
  • 1/2 cup raw cashews
  • 1 T. nutritional yeast
  • 1/2 t. sea salt, plus more to taste
  • creative additions: goat cheese and parmesan cheese
  • Grind cashews in food processor. Sauté onion, garlic, and basil in olive oil. Create roux from 1 T olive oil, 1 T flour, and 2 cups milk. Add nutritional yeast, salt, and goat cheese if you want. Add sauté mix to roux and cashews and process in blender until smooth.

    We capped the meal with amazing tiramisu, thanks to my friend Jenn’s handy work with egg yolks, ladyfingers, and an abundance of mascarpone cheese. It was so good and so food-coma inducing.

    IMG_0400 

    Making food with excellent company is wonderful, as are good friends who help you do the dishes when all you really want to do is turn off the lights and pretend a mountain of dirty pans will not be sitting in your sink the next morning.

    In other news, the warm weather this weekend brought a return to running. I took a week off, and it definitely helped, although I was completely antsy and ready to run by the time Saturday rolled around. However, I have decided that the extra yoga was definitely beneficial and a pretty great endoftheday destresser. 

  • Until next time, friends…

    0

    btubs :: when was the last time you made dinner with someone else?

  • 19 comments:

    1. The pasta sauce looks delicious! I've made pasta a couple of times and loved the results. I used Thomas Keller's recipe which calls for 8 egg yolks. One thing that Keller emphasizes is that you can't overknead the dough and that it needs a period of resting. So much work, but so worth it.

      ReplyDelete
    2. My friend Janan (another RD) and I try to make dinner once a month. It's fun, but it always makes me want a bigger kitchen! In December Smita and Jamie are coming over for dinner and we're making pumpkin-stuffed shells. Want to come?!?! :)
      The pasta looks great! I wish I had tips for you, but this Italian is a pasta virgin.

      ReplyDelete
    3. Hmm...it's funny...my bf and I hardly ever make dinner together. In fact, we hardly ever eat together! We just have crazy schedules and our own personal eating habits. But sometimes I miss the bonding that comes from being in the kitchen together...there's nothing quite like it, no?

      ReplyDelete
    4. That looks amazing! I miss making dinner with other people...it makes the whole process and the meal much better. I think food is an experience and it's more fun to share it with others.

      ReplyDelete
    5. Ah, like a cashew pesto sauce. Very yummy. I love seeing other peoples from scratch meals and I am hoping at some point the hubby and I can get back into from scratch weekends. It has been hard since we moved, but the house is almost entirely in order now. We have made pasta before, both using a hand turned pasta machine and then the pasta extruder too. It really is trial and error. We never tried whole wheat, so maybe we will need to give that a try.

      ReplyDelete
    6. YUM! I have a pasta maker but haven't yet broken it out...really really need to!

      ReplyDelete
    7. i love the idea of making dinner with friends. I haven't done so in the past... don't know why though, maybe my friends are too lazy, they just want to be feed in! :) Anyway... I will definitely do that in the near future. I think it's a great moment to get close to friends and have some good conversation.
      Pasta making sounds fun and challenging. definitely need to do that as well.

      ReplyDelete
    8. Making your own pasta looks so fun! I am going to have to try it sometime! :) Whole wheat flour makes them sound amazing!

      ReplyDelete
    9. Oh lady fingers. They're so difficult to find where I live... but tiramisu is my absolute favorite.

      I do a lot of from-scratch cooking, but I've never attempted my own pasta. Maybe I should ask for a pasta maker for Christmas. How exactly does one cook homemade pasta? Does it need to dry or you you boil it freshly made?

      ReplyDelete
    10. last night! :) My bf lives 500 mi from me, so I surprised him and drove up for the weekend! Last night we made dill and parm tilapia, sauteed kale w capers, and lentils. :)

      love the tiramisu - yummm!

      ReplyDelete
    11. I just recently made dinner with a friend! It is such an enjoyable experience, and the food will always taste better with your personal love and labor put into it! your pasta looks so yummy!

      ReplyDelete
    12. wow, homemade pasta! that is AWESOME. i need to get me one of those pasta makers. i haven't had pasta in ages nor have i gone for a run lately. must do both of those things heheh.

      ReplyDelete
    13. Yes, cooking with friends is so much fun! The pasta looks great! And what a nice way to end with tiramisu... :)

      Glad you had a good run!

      ReplyDelete
    14. Ok, let's discuss the cute guy! (ha-ha!!) - some of my favourite fooding memories center around homemade pasta making... it gives rise to such great evenings of fun and adventure. And that tiramisu, de.lish! Great post Em.

      ReplyDelete
    15. looks like an amazing meal is that your guy ? cute he he
      happy thanksgiving

      hugs Rebecca

      ReplyDelete
    16. Cooking with friends definitely has to be one of my favorite things. Did you use all ww flour? Chris is usually the pasta making expert in our household and he's pretty darn good at it. I know he uses a variation from a cookinglight recipe and has it memorized now. The weather and moisture in the air can also greatly influence our pasta batch each time. Can we have that tiramisu recipe??? It looks divine! Have a great Thanksgiving Em!

      ReplyDelete
    17. Yum, the sauce sounds great. I also love cooking with others. It really heightens the experience. Hope you had a lovely Thanksgiving.

      ReplyDelete
    18. Nope, never made pasta. Hey yours looks pretty professional Emily! Also, can your apt get any cuter?! Please come decorate my place.

      ReplyDelete
    19. wow, I'm impressed! I tried making my own noodles not too long ago and it was a disaster!

      ReplyDelete

    Leave a comment; I'd love to hear from you!