Tuesday, May 17, 2011

[time]

Time is the biggest issue most people have when it comes to cooking and eating healthfully. It’s even hard for dietitians, who deal with early mornings and long days, to be excited about cooking a meal after work. I try to do most of my meal prep during the weekend, to save time (and energy) during the week.

workity work

Dave (who is now famous) is more of a kitchen adventurer than I am these days and recently recommended this lentil dish. I have to admit that my fave part was actually the lentils + cinnamon and cumin. And you probably shouldn’t make this unless you like onions…or have an intense fear of vampires (6, count ‘em, 6 cloves of garlic in this dish!).

IMG_1277   

Super easy to make, but you should plan to get at least 3 pans dirty, spill rice (or quinoa in my case) on the floor multiple times, and end up with tomato sauce in your hair. Or maybe I’m just talented like that…

Is it ironic that a plate of non vegan cookies (so, sometimes I bring cookies to work. newsflash: dietitians eat cookies) are sitting next to JSF’s Eating Animals? Still digesting bits and pieces of this gem…ethical eating for me is (and probably always will be) a process. I’ve had a lot of convos about this recently, and it’s always interesting to hear responses to questions like, “what are your thoughts on GMO crops?”

IMG_1223

Mini SLU dietetic intern reunion slash wedding this past weekend (congrats R & J!). I honestly cannot believe it’s been almost a year since I finished my dietetic internship. Crazy. It so was good to catch up with these ladies, who are all now dietitians and colleagues.  I promise my hair looked halfway decent before all of the dancing started.

wedds

And…I just got back from a rain run. In St. Louis, it rained so often in the spring that I promised myself I’d never use rain as an excuse not to run. It’s funny, but I actually like running in the rain now…as much as I’m addicted to my ipod, sometimes it’s nice to take a break and run without.

Speaking of time…this is my last post as a 25 year old!

0

22 comments:

  1. Happy Birthday tomorrow, Emily! :) I know exactly what you mean about sometimes not having time to cook after work (or internship :). Lately I've been a big fan of cooking a spaghetti squash and having "pasta" leftovers. Super fast and tasty. Hope your new job is going well!

    ReplyDelete
  2. Nice Post! Glad I found this blog!

    If you're into photography, check out my blog. I'm a photographer!

    www.electricbrandon.com

    If you want, follow it and I'll do the same. Thank you. :)

    ReplyDelete
  3. Happy Birthday for tomorrow!! YAY :) I hope you have a great bday!

    Glad to know that RD's eat cookies!!

    ReplyDelete
  4. Ha, six cloves of garlic, that means my husband would love it!

    HAPPY BIRTHDAY!! :)

    ReplyDelete
  5. totally agree with not always having enough time to prep or cook a fabulous meal - life just gets so busy some days! but it sounds like you make it work. hope you have a wonderful birthday! have fun celebrating. :)

    ReplyDelete
  6. Ooh happy birthday!! And I JUST finished reading "Eating Animals." Such an interesting read! It is really making me think about where my food comes from. It also pushed me to make that final step and become a true vegetarian! I was always one of those "I'll still eat fish and sometimes chicken if I'm craving it" person. No longer :)

    ReplyDelete
  7. HAPPY EARLY BIRTHDAY EMILY!!! I can't even remember the date...you'll have to remind me. Or I can always look on facebook :)
    I do love running in the rain, actually. It's the only time I actually enjoy running.

    I do most of my prep on my days off as well, it really helps. I always think I will have energy to cook when I Get home, but almost always I Just want to crash.

    ReplyDelete
  8. I love running in the rain too although I haven't run outdoor for while. And yes, iPod is a must although it's good to nor depend too much on itl

    Happy birthday Emity! Hope you have a wonderful celebration

    ReplyDelete
  9. reunions are always the best!! i have a wedding next weekend & will see friends from college i haven't seen in years--soo excited!

    have a great birthday Emily! hope you get to celebrate and have a blast!!

    ReplyDelete
  10. Oh my goodness you are going to be over a quarter of a century old!!! that must make me ancient.

    ReplyDelete
  11. Happy Birthday Emily! Hope your day is fantastic, and this is your best year yet!!!

    ReplyDelete
  12. Haha "newsflash: dietitians eat cookies." I always joke with my dietitian friend because the only thing we do together when we get together is eat...and it's usually some sort of baked good. Everything in moderation!!

    ReplyDelete
  13. happy birthday dear!!! :D may this year be filled with bliss :)

    ReplyDelete
  14. I'm the wussiest rain runner ever. As in, I don't do it if it can be helped. I've done a 5 mile race during hard rain and it drizzled during my marathon, but that's about it.

    I want to read Eating Animals. And I'm SO GLAD RDs still eat cookies. :)

    ReplyDelete
  15. so true! Time is definitely one of the biggest barriers to health and being physically active, but really I think there is time if we make the time :) at least that's the way I try to think of it and explain to clients. Of course it doesn't always work out, but I say no excuses! ha :) You are so good for running in the rain, I need to get better at riding in it.
    Hope you have a fantastic birthday, yay!

    ReplyDelete
  16. rainy runs are never as bad as i anticipate they'll be! i've had PLENTY this spring!! :)

    ReplyDelete
  17. Happy belated birthday! I know you and Emily had a fun time celebrating together!!

    Would you recommend "Eating Animals"? I liked his other book ("Everything is Illuminated"), but I'm not sure I want to start this one...

    ReplyDelete
  18. Happy Belated Birthday!

    I do agree that it's hard to find time to always cook a super fancy meal but I Still think that everyone can find time to make something healthy if they put in a little effort!

    I miss my internship as well! I couldn't believe how fast time flies once you are out of school!

    ReplyDelete
  19. vegan cookies and lentils!?! ahhh girl you've got the key to my heart! happy bday, i hope it turned out absolutely AMAZING!!

    ReplyDelete
  20. Happy birthday!! Those cookies look pretty awesome :)

    Sues

    ReplyDelete
  21. Jonathan Safran Foer came to SLU a few weeks ago to speak! In his presentation he expressed that he is not an extremist and actually does eat some animal products, so I don't think he would mind that his book was served up with the non-vegan cookies :) I can't believe I'm about to start my internship in a few short months eek!

    ReplyDelete

Leave a comment; I'd love to hear from you!