Friday, April 1, 2011

favorites

I love buying spices at my hometown health store. They seem fresher, and they’re usually less expensive than buying an entire jar. Plus, I’m nerdy, and I like making my own labels.

IMG_0962

Snobby joes are one of my favorite make-ahead meals. If you don’t like super spicy food, don’t add 3 tablespoons of chili powder like I did. It may cause crying.

 IMG_1008

Lentils are the base of this dish, and they’re pretty amazing, especially if you’re trying to find sources of vegetarian protein:

lentils

  • in the legume family
  • 18 grams of protein per cup (cooked)
  • 16 grams of fiber
  • excellent source of folate
  • good source of iron, phosphorus, thiamin, and potassium

Although they probably would be better paired with naan, I tried a new recipe for honey whole wheat rolls that turned out pretty well. And yes, you have to use yeast.

IMG_0999

It should be noted that snobby joes taste much better after being refrigerated overnight. Something magical happens to the flavors. Seriously.

Anyone else have a good lentil recipe? Leave a comment if you do!

I’m going to make a sourdough starter soon, and I’m really excited about this. It makes yeast bread baking a cinch. Tutorial to follow…

Happy Friday (and April)!

0

23 comments:

  1. LOVE lentils. And I definitely find that most of my soups and dahls taste way better as leftovers, when they've been sitting for awhile!

    ReplyDelete
  2. I made something similar to your snobby joes this winter in a crockpot, and I loved it! My husband complained about there being too many lentils though, ha, so we haven't had it since. However, if it was up to me, we'd have this dish a lot more!

    ReplyDelete
  3. Two of my favorite lentil recipes: http://girlevolving.com/2010/11/12/reader-recipe-poll-eggplant-and-lentil-dahl/
    http://girlevolving.com/2010/11/05/reader-recipe-poll-spaghetti-and-meatless-meatballs/

    ReplyDelete
  4. I still have to try to make sloppy joes, I've seen it everywhere! :D
    And your honey buns look great! You're becoming a bread maker lately ;)

    ReplyDelete
  5. I made lentil sloppy jo's too, based on a Mama Pea recipe. They were great!

    I need to get some spices from our local health store too. They have about everything you could think of in bulk and I've een meaning to get there!

    ReplyDelete
  6. I've been looking for a vegetarian sloppy joe recipe that doesn't involve soy...looks like a winner! Thanks for sharing. :)

    ReplyDelete
  7. yummy honey wheat rolls look to die for! I'm not a big fan of sloppy joes, but I'd consider snobby joes! I have tried lentils a few ways and love that they are super tiny circles of health!

    ReplyDelete
  8. This dish has been making it's way into our meal rotation for the past few months. We LOVE it! And you're totally right about something magical happening after overnight refrigeration. So yum! :)

    ReplyDelete
  9. Yum! That sounds delicious! Isn't is funny how some foods taste sooo much better as leftovers:-) xoxo

    ReplyDelete
  10. i think i'd love the amount of chili powder you put in those suckers. yum!

    ReplyDelete
  11. I love lentils! Such a good source of protein and iron :)

    ReplyDelete
  12. ahhh i want to learn how to make my own labels too! spent an hour at michael's arts and craft store browsing hehe.

    i'm still trying to experiment with yeast + bread too! :D hope you are enjoying aa with the sun coming out (thought it'll prolly snow in april there...)

    ReplyDelete
  13. I love that you covered your snobby joes in cilantro! Mmmm, best garnish ever!

    ReplyDelete
  14. Oh those look delicious.

    I love visiting my co-op when I'm home from school! I definitely stock up! Really cute blog. Following!

    ReplyDelete
  15. so impressed you make your own bread so often! the snobby joes look great!! there's a really simple lentil and tomato soup recipe on 101cookbooks that I think is my favorite--and it's just too easy!!

    ReplyDelete
  16. I love lentils, especially lentils with curry. This is the first time I'm hearing about snobby joes. It looks delicious!

    ReplyDelete
  17. Those rolls look awesome! And I usually just have lentils as a side dish without fancying them up... I should try a new recipe though!

    ReplyDelete
  18. i love our local spice shop. i go in there sometimes just to smell the spices. strange, i know. thanks so much for the beet recipe! can't wait to try it.

    ReplyDelete
  19. Oh yummy, love your blog! :-)
    xxxx Emily of EL Vintage

    ReplyDelete
  20. How cool is that?! I don't think we have a spice place like that here, but that is genius. mmm those look really tasty, going to have to try them!

    ReplyDelete
  21. I love tempeh sloppy joes, but have never tried them with lentils. IN fact, we don't eat many lentils in this household. I used to eat them a lot more as a kid.

    ReplyDelete

Leave a comment; I'd love to hear from you!