Saturday, February 12, 2011

hometown farewell…for now.

This weekend is the move to Ann Arbor. It’s not a huge deal to me because it’s only 3 hrs away vs. my 8 hr commute last year. Moving back home was a hard transition, but I’ve learned a lot these past few months.

IMG_0547 

Even though my hometown is not very progressive and struggles with embracing sustainability, I have found that I love being part of that struggle. There are certainly more opportunities to talk with people about my passion for local food, and I’m constantly reminded why I do what I do because it’s not the norm here. And it’s been cool to see other people get excited about the same things…

100_6915

I ate at the only local food restaurant in town today with my parents. So good. I will miss this little place and will definitely be back again. Their purple cabbage, fennel, and apple slaw is amazing. I also like their egg BLT (without the bacon, so I guess it’s an ELT?).

IMG_0535

And…a couple of recipes for your weekend. Smitten Kitchen’s chocolate chip cookies (because it’ll be V-day pretty soon, which is just an excuse to eat more chocolate, in my opinion).

IMG_0543

And homemade pita chips, which are great if you get tired of eating vegetables with hummus. I like splitting whole wheat pitas in half and brushing them with olive oil, garlic, and Italian spices. Bake at 400 until crispy (7-10 minutes).

IMG_0527     

Serve with hummus. I foresee a lot of hummus being made in the near future because I really like homemade pita chips…

100_3261

As I was taking my “last run before I leave” this morning, I got sprayed by no less than 2 snowplows. Nothing like a good ole goodbye from West Michigan…

Happy Weekend! 

0

23 comments:

  1. even though i'm not the biggest chocolate fan , there's never NOT a reason to eat the stuff :)

    "last run before i leave" ones are so bittersweet. good luck with the move! i think it's totally awesome that you're part of the fight to be more sustainable in your hometown. it's like being on the verge of something really exciting!

    ReplyDelete
  2. All the best to you Emily!! Thought we might bump into each other while you were in W Mi. I might need to come visit you in AA...we could have lunch at Seva...ooo so yummy , then we could stop by Zingermans and Traders Joes! Sounds like a perfect foodie day! ; D

    ReplyDelete
  3. BLT with no bacon? What is the fun in that ;)

    Good luck with the move!

    ReplyDelete
  4. That hummus looks so creamy! My hubby just got a food processor so I am planning to try your recipe. GOOD LUCK with your move--new adventures!!

    ReplyDelete
  5. I had a duck PBJ at the same restaurant. With cashew butter, duck and mint jelly. It was very filling and tasty and I haven't had that much meat in a long time. We will miss the girl!

    ReplyDelete
  6. I've been loving pita bread and hummus lately! My school's library sells the two together and it makes a great afternoon snack.

    ReplyDelete
  7. BT Laurie, a duck pbj sounds very interesting but I bet I would love it haha

    ReplyDelete
  8. Good luck with the move, Emily! Congrats on the new job - I hope the transition goes well!

    ReplyDelete
  9. all the best for your move at least you can drive home anytime :-0

    ReplyDelete
  10. Good luck with the move! What an exciting chapter of your life :)

    ReplyDelete
  11. Good luck moving! Hope you have some fun with it. I know what you mean about your hometown not quite being up to par with some other cities' slow food movements. Whenever I come back to St. Louis after being in New York or Chicago, I feel the same way. And then I think of what all I could do for St. Louis, and I get really excited!

    ReplyDelete
  12. Well I wish you luck on your travels (although I think by now you are in Ann Arbor....). Be sure never to wear blue and yellow :)
    I'm glad you got to get one more delicious meal before you left! And boy does it sound tasty. It sounds sort of like a Northstar Cafe, maybe? I love that place.
    Good luck with the job Emily, I can't wait to hear more about it!

    ReplyDelete
  13. Just think that it was Michigan's way of shedding (gross, snowy) tears for your departure!

    Safe travels and happy relocating!

    ReplyDelete
  14. Good luck with the move, Emily!!
    And your description of Valentine's day... accurate. :)

    ReplyDelete
  15. Good luck with the move! I'm excited to hear more about your new job once you get settled in.

    ReplyDelete
  16. ahh, godo luck with the move!

    i loveee making homemade pita chips-- Mmm

    ReplyDelete
  17. i love smitten kitchen's chocolate chip cookies!! good luck with the move!!

    ReplyDelete
  18. I hope you have a smooth transition to Ann Arbor. I will have to try Smitten Kitchen's chocolate chip recipe, she features the best dessert recipes.

    ReplyDelete
  19. The hummus looks sooo good (unfortunately, I can't eat it anymore, and that's why I get really excited whenever I see some...).

    Good luck with everything!!!

    ReplyDelete
  20. Good luck with your move. Is this a new place for you altogether or have you lived there before, maybe in college? I love all new because I love to explore, but it is also nice to get back to something familiar.

    ReplyDelete
  21. ahh I hope your move is going well so far!!

    ReplyDelete
  22. Your hummus looks SO good! And with the pita chips?? Perfect :)

    Sues

    ReplyDelete
  23. Hey, I totally have some pitas that I can make homemade pita chips with!! I will totally do that. Thanks for the idea. :)

    ReplyDelete

Leave a comment; I'd love to hear from you!