Thursday, February 10, 2011

cookies, fennel, and….noodle pillows?

Thanks for all the congrats on life’s latest change. I started packing yesterday…I hate packing, but fortunately I am bringing mostly clothes and books at this point. And my blender.

IMG_0515

Cranberry oatmeal cookies ala Smitten Kitchen made things go a little more smoothly. These are the real deal. No substitutions. This cookie is a cookie.

IMG_0521

I’ve only eaten fennel in salad form, but last night we ate it braised and sprinkled with parmesan cheese and homemade croutons [recipe here]. It was surprisingly good.

IMG_0512 

We also ate vegetables on noodle pillows (I wish I were making that up, but that’s what they’re called). I wasn’t a big fan of the crunchy noodles, so I think I’ll just stick to plain soba or rice noodles next time.

 IMG_0514   

It’s zero degrees (literally) here today, but I’m going to attempt a run anyway. Michigan running is always an adventure…at least we aren’t currently having a blizzard!

0

18 comments:

  1. Stay warm! Those have been the temps in Chicago this week too!

    ReplyDelete
  2. i dont think ive ever had fennel-- weird and so unlike me, only bc i've eaten the most obscure and bizarre plants... Maybe i'll pick some up today!

    ReplyDelete
  3. Haha I like the term "noodle pillows"! Good luck on that cold run!!

    ReplyDelete
  4. I've never even heard of noodle pillows....weird! I'm a big fan of rice noodles myself. :)

    ReplyDelete
  5. Ever try fennel seeds? The flavor is intense and smooth. Never heard of noodle pillows.

    ReplyDelete
  6. i haven't tried fennel yet, raw or cooked! need to explore it!!! oh wow, running in zero degree weather in michigan! kudos to you!

    ReplyDelete
  7. I think a better name is a "noodle nest." "Pillow" is way too misleading.

    Stay warm!!!

    ReplyDelete
  8. that is probably the one smitten kitchen recipe that i make most often. they are perfect oatmeal cookies!

    ReplyDelete
  9. I keep meaning to buy fennel to cook with--I'm a big fan of the flavor!

    ReplyDelete
  10. oatmeal cookies = my life. no matter what you put in them they taste amazing and relax me.

    ReplyDelete
  11. I've never had fennel before! It's supposed to taste kind of like licorice, right?

    ReplyDelete
  12. You're a brave women!
    The cookies sound marvelous. I haven't had oatmeal cookies in ages (and I don't know why). I hope the packing is coming along. I wish you luck in the worst city in the world. hehe, jk. But, not really...BOO MICHIGAN, buy YEAH EMILY!

    ReplyDelete
  13. It all looks good. I have never heard of noodle pillows, but it makes me want to go to sleep and dream of pasta. Stay warm and have a good weekend.

    ReplyDelete
  14. i never cook with fennel but i always hear the most amazing things about it! i hear its also super delicious in soup! now you've got me wanting a huge bowl of souuup haha

    ReplyDelete
  15. Oh my god, a 0 degree run! Ahhh I admire your insanity woman!! :) It was 3 degrees in Cincinnati yesterday; I'm not gonna lie, I think I was outside a total of .3 seconds! I want summmmer!!

    ReplyDelete
  16. i already have a tea ready but all i need now is one of those cranberry cookies!!! <3

    ReplyDelete
  17. I'm not a big fan of crunchy noodles either. Recently I've been eating a lot of rice noodles in soup. They are really good!

    ReplyDelete

Leave a comment; I'd love to hear from you!