Monday, January 24, 2011

potato soup

Great discussion on the organic post! A little follow up:

IMG_0184   

  • if industrial organic isn’t sustainable, what are my options? Industrial organic produce is still better than conventional produce because it doesn’t contain hormones and pesticides. Local food is also valuable because it is grown using the small farms model; you just have to ask about growing specifics.
  • what do I eat in the winter? Many of us aren’t fortunate enough to live in an area with a winter CSA (community supported agriculture), making it very hard to eat locally and seasonally. I’d recommend buying organic versions of the dirty dozen (if you can) and choosing fresh and frozen vs. canned produce.
  • how do I know if a farmer is telling the truth about his/her produce? There is an element of trust involved in the farmer-consumer relationship. However, you could play food detective and visit the farm to see firsthand how things are done. I’m actually really interested in doing this…

7g

All that said…I don’t have all of the answers. I do know that the industrial factory farming system in place is definitely not sustainable, and there is a great need to find a better way to grow and distribute food. Simply being aware of where your food comes from and spreading the word about being a responsible consumer is important. The food industry will mold to meet the demands of the consumer, and if we demand fresh, local food, perhaps we can shake up the system.

---------------------------------------------------------------

Last time I checked it was still winter; therefore, I’m still eating soup. I decided to attempt a version of potato soup today with a few more vegetables hidden inside.

  IMG_0339

[super easy] potato soup

IMG_0345 

  • 2 carrots, chopped
  • 2 celery stalks, chopped
  • 1 onion or 1/2 large onion, chopped
  • 1 1/2 pound red potatoes (~6-7 small ones), peeled and chopped
  • 4 T butter
  • 4 cups vegetable stock

    Sauté the vegetables in butter until slightly browned (10-15 minutes). Add the stock and simmer until vegetables are soft (15 minutes). Blend soup in small batches via traditional or immersion blender.

    Then make these 15 minute oatmeal scones, and you’ve got an easy (but delicious), homemade meal.

    IMG_0351

    Sometimes I think eating healthfully is only complicated because we make it that way…simple food can be fantastic, but we have to make time to cook (and enjoy) it.

    0

  • 17 comments:

    1. So true. With just a little love and time we can have simple, healthy meals ready!

      ReplyDelete
    2. Great post! I have something very similar coming up this week ;)

      ReplyDelete
    3. You did spark a great discussion with that post! Good for you :)

      I do think there has to be some level of trust involved with buying from local farmers. Even if you go check it out, you might not necessarily know what to look for! Truly though, as long as we're all doing our best to eat foods straight from the Earth rather than covered in chemicals or shipped from across the country, then we're doing OK :)

      ReplyDelete
    4. Good idea with the soup! I have a 5lb bag of organic trader joes potatoes that I need to use up =) Just need to run out for some celery! <3

      xoxo
      Jenn @ Peas & Crayons

      ReplyDelete
    5. That is my kind of soup recipe! I could eat potatoes every day :)

      ReplyDelete
    6. Potato soup was my favorite soup growing up. Yours looks delicious!

      ReplyDelete
    7. great organic ideas/discussion! and i just made a potato soup. perfect for the cold winter. ummm oatmeal scones? why didn't i think of that?

      ReplyDelete
    8. mmm i've been on SUCH a soup kick lately! it's too cold out for anything else haha

      ReplyDelete
    9. ur potato soup looks ever so lovely!!! just like Julie ive been on a total soup kick too! <3
      gotta check out this scone recipe to save for later! some days i crave scones like CRAZY (since i grew up eating a lot of them) and this would come in handy!!

      xoxo

      ReplyDelete
    10. Love that potato soup, lovely color! Saw the 15 minutes scones too and am going to make them today. Thanks for the link.

      ReplyDelete
    11. potato soup + oatmeal scones = perfect comforting meal during this cold weather!!! :D

      ReplyDelete
    12. That potato soup looks so good, as do those oatmeal scones. A perfect meal for a freezing cold day!

      ReplyDelete
    13. Great points. while the industrial organic food may not be sustainable (and thus defeats part of the purpose of organic) it's still free of pesticides and hormones, therefore I continued to buy the GIANT BOX of organic spinach....

      Thanks for the soup recipe. Yes, it's easy! I love that.

      ReplyDelete
    14. omg, I just found your blog and absolutely adore it! love all your posts and facts about organics versus conventional farming methods...I'm a firm believer in organic sustainability and try to purchase it as much as possible. look forward to reading more of your blog! come check out mine sometime (I'm a newb!)

      ReplyDelete
    15. Thankfully I've been fortunate enough to visit the farm that I get my organic CSA from. It was really neat to go there and see how everything is taken care of.

      Also, you're so right that the industry will mold to consumers. My local grocery state-wide grocery store now boasts about how its produce is from local Texan farmers. It's pretty cool!

      ReplyDelete
    16. Love this potato soup recipe-i'm always too lazy to make potato soup but we both love it! And the fact that it's healthy-sign me up! Thanks!

      ReplyDelete

    Leave a comment; I'd love to hear from you!