As mentioned in my last post: while I think the material greed monster associated with the holidays is ridiculous, I do love giving and receiving thoughtful gifts. Here are some foodie-friendly ideas:
1) homemade bread
My family has a tradition of making Swedish coffee bread every year(side note: I’m adopted if you are thoroughly confused). While our recipe is [kinda] a family secret [meaning: if you emailed me, I’d probably share], here are some other breads that make great gifts.
2) sweet treats
caramel photo via live, laugh, eat
- 40 homemade gifts from the kitchn
- eggnog caramels from live, laugh, eat
- gluten free brownies
- hot chocolate mix + homemade marshmallows
- peanut butter cups
3) cookies. I feel that an explanation here isn’t necessary. So many kinds of delish cookies to make…so little time.
- 101 Cookbooks: Xmas Cookie Recipes
- best big fat chewy chocolate chip cookies
- beth’s oatmeal raisin cookies
- peppermint pinwheels
- sugar cookies
4) handcrafted items: Ok, so these aren’t really from the kitchen, but I thought I’d include them anyway. It’s no secret that I’m a little obsessed with crafting.
- embroidered pillowcases
- homemade cards
- marble magnets
- anything from etsy.com! [check out the ex-roomie’s store!]
Day 4: Time
I know I’ve focused primarily on monetary gifts so far, but I also want to think about other ways to give. Time is probably one of the most valuable non-material possessions in our society today, and there are so many ways to share it.
- shovel your neighbor’s driveway: this is the ultimate gift, people, especially if you live in a snow-heavy area. and maybe they will offer you some hot chocolate in return?!
- meet friends for coffee: this is mutually beneficial, but sometimes just clearing your schedule can be a sacrifice.
- find somewhere to volunteer: read books at your local library, serve at a local food pantry…the possibilities are endless.
- host a dinner party: what better way to show your friends that healthful eating can be delicious…and who doesn’t like free food?