Wednesday, September 15, 2010

umm…you should buy a spiralizer.

I’m usually not one to get attached to a piece of kitchen equipment, especially with all of the crazy things being invented every millisecond. However, I’ve been completely blown away by the spiralizer (no, I don’t get paid for writing a positive review)!

There’s something about changing the texture of vegetables that makes them more appealing. The simple ingredients for stir fry…

DSCF4078

…dressed up with spiralized zuke noodles, farmers’ market fresh vegetables, a drizzle of tahini, and your choice of spices.

DSCF4103

You can also spiralize cucumbers, carrots, and red onion for a fresh salad. Spiralizing increases the surface area of vegetables exposed to the dressing, creating a more flavorful dish. I dressed this salad with a little Fig & Walnut Balsamic Vinaigrette from Lucini Italia, and it was delish.

DSCF4104

Last but not least…to all of you who are obsessed with sweet potato fries, the spiralizer does it right.

DSCF4114

Add 5 tbs dijon mustard, 2 tbs olive oil, 1 clove garlic (chopped), and 1 tsp Italian herbs to a gallon plastic bag. Shake to mix.

DSCF4120

Bake at 450 F for 30-40 minutes and voila…restaurant quality sweet potato fries without the frying! The spicy mustard really adds a lot of flavor to these fries.

DSCF4126

If I can’t get pumpkin during this fallish weather, I guess I’ll just have to settle for sweet potatoes. Has anyone been able to find pumpkin lately?!

On the job front, plans might be changing a little, and if you’re interested in online nutrition counseling, you should stay tuned!

0
p.s. who's interested in winning an entire case of Larabars? see ccv's site for details!

24 comments:

  1. It looks like those are actually crispy, which is what I always miss when I make them at home!

    ReplyDelete
  2. I found Libby's pumpkin today! Bought 6 large cans!! Hurray!

    ReplyDelete
  3. Those fries (and other veggies) look awesome! You've convinced me to get a spiralizer.

    ReplyDelete
  4. ahhh, spiralizer and fries were made for one another!

    ReplyDelete
  5. This comment has been removed by the author.

    ReplyDelete
  6. I LOVE my spiralizer! It's an inexpensive piece of kitchen equipment that adds so mush flair to meals. Spiralized baked fries are the best!

    Online nutrition counseling sounds interesting... can't wait til I get to that point!

    ReplyDelete
  7. Wow, I didn't even know I needed one, but now I need one. Pumpkins were 3 for $10 at Kroger today! Probably not the kind you spiralize, though.

    Another recipe site that makes me think you'd like it:
    http://www.fresh365online.com/

    ReplyDelete
  8. i've heard such great things about spiralizers! although i think if i had one i'd do absolutely nothing except make spirals

    ReplyDelete
  9. Alright, I think you've convinced me that I need one. I'm so anti-gimmicks, especially since I have a TON in my kitchen. However, this one seems really useful!

    ReplyDelete
  10. i have one but i rarely use it.. maybe only twice in 2 years!!! im gonna take ur word for it and start using mine way more often!! <3

    xoxo

    ReplyDelete
  11. Everything looks delicious! I think the ability to make sweet potato curly fries is worth the investment. And I like your idea of adding mustard!

    ReplyDelete
  12. wow i bet spiralizing the sweet potato fries adds a whole new element to them! you're really making me want a spiralizer emily!!

    so exciting about the new job plans...i can't wait to hear more!!

    ps...im keeping my fingers crossed there will be some pumpkin at the TG market tomorrow..im soo ready for fall foods!

    ReplyDelete
  13. These look fabulous. I love sweet potatoes too! I saw cooking pumpkin at the Holland Farmers Market.

    ReplyDelete
  14. Spiralizers are kind of amazing--I LOVE mine. But I do NOT love the injuries it has caused me!

    ReplyDelete
  15. Oh my goodness, sprialized sweet potato fries? Yes please!!

    ReplyDelete
  16. neato Emily! gl with the job process. your sweet potato fries inspire me. pumpkin is here in Boston!!

    ReplyDelete
  17. problem finding pumpkins? not here.. we have plenty of squash/kabocha here!
    I've never spiralized sweet potato, but I'd definitely make there "fries" :)

    ReplyDelete
  18. I think you're right, I need one of these!!! Even if I just bought it for the sweet potato fries...it would be worth it. Whenever I make SP fries they are always unevenly cut and some get burnt while others stay soft. Not good!! I'm sure this would cure that problem.

    ReplyDelete
  19. Gorgeous photos, I think you sold me on purchasing a spiralizer!

    ReplyDelete
  20. Looks awesome! I have a mandoline, which does something pretty similar to spiraling. Sweet potato fries look out of this world!!

    Sues

    ReplyDelete
  21. I really really want to get one! What brand do you recommend? I can't find them in stores, so I think I'll have to order one online!

    ReplyDelete
  22. my spiralizer is made by paderno, and i got it at csnstores.com

    http://www.csnstores.com/Paderno-World-Cuisine-a4982799-WCS1442.html

    ReplyDelete
  23. Those sweet potato fries look amazing! I think a spiralizer is going on my Christmas list this year. I also love the idea of using a spicy mustard. You're a genius!

    ReplyDelete

Leave a comment; I'd love to hear from you!