Friday, July 16, 2010

even a beet hater will like this…

First news of the day…I passed my RD exam or the national examination to become a registered dietitian! It’s been a long road of schooling [7 years!], and it’s nice to have the credential. I feel very blessed from all of the support of my family and great friends.

My mom and I visited the farmers’ market in town for some fresh produce this week. After being spoiled by the expanse known as Soulard in St. Louis, I was still pretty impressed by the offerings of my much smaller hometown. 

DSCF3380

Loved the abundance of local produce. Read about the benefits of eating local food here.

DSCF3374

We bought some homegrown carrots, which I think are much better than anything you can purchase in a grocery store {definitely not as slimy and gross as baby carrots}.

DSCF3377  

We also bought some raspberries that are amazing. No blueberries because we can pick those ourselves. My mom usually freezes them to be enjoyed all winter long {and then I eat them on my oats whenever I’m home}.

   DSCF3378  

I have an extreme dislike for water chestnuts, jicama, and beets. Maybe it’s the texture? Anyway, after seeing the article, “beet recipes even a beet hater can love” in the New York Times (Toby Bilanow), I decided to expand my culinary horizons, using these beets from the farmers’ market.

DSCF3384

I chose a recipe by Martha Shulman for risotto with beet green and roasted beets. Anyone who’s ever made risotto before knows it’s basically like babysitting rice. However, the end result is definitely worth the in-between steps.

andrew scrivani

photo credit: andrew scrivani [mine was much less aesthetically pleasing].

Beets* pack a lot of nutritional punch. Their reddish-pink pigment, called betacyanin has been linked to cancer prevention.

1 cup of boiled beets provides:

  • excellent source of the folate, a very good source of manganese and potassium, and a good source of dietary fiber, vitamin C, magnesium, iron, copper, and phosphorus.

1 cup of cooked beet greens provides:

  • a good source of protein, folate, pantothenic acid, phosphorus and zinc; a very good source of dietary fiber, vitamin A, C, E, K, thiamin, riboflavin, pyridoxine, calcium, iron, magnesium, potassium, copper and manganese.

So now I’m curious…do you like beets? Any fave preparation methods or recipes? I can’t say I love beets…yet, but they’re growing on me.

0

Don’t forget to vote for Donate Life America on the right side of the blog! If you don’t see the widget, refresh the page a few times. :-) ------->

24 comments:

  1. I love beets!
    I adore them roasted, with some cheese on top. It's also great to make beet burgers, they taste awesome too.
    Congratulations on the exam!!

    ReplyDelete
  2. Beets are a big-time favorite of mine! And I love risotto! The nutritional information on your blog is amazing. Great photos as well!

    Congratulations to you on passing your exam! :)

    ReplyDelete
  3. Congrats again Emily.

    I love beets, but they are not easily digested by my lame body. So sad. I wish I could eat them by the can full but I can't :( I especially LOVe pickled beets!

    Can you believe I have NOT been to a farmers market yet this year? Shame on me.

    ReplyDelete
  4. Beets are really good roasted and tossed with a spinach salad.

    CONGRATS ON PASSING THE EXAM!

    ReplyDelete
  5. CONGRATULATIONS!!! Yay!! love all that produce. I do like beets although I don't get them as often as I should. I like to roast them and have them on salad or I also made pickled beets with my grandma one time and they are tasty :)

    ReplyDelete
  6. Yum! I love beets, and that risotto looks amazing!
    Congrats on passing the RD exam! You must feel so accomplished:)

    ReplyDelete
  7. i love beets! I just like it plain boiled, perfect for summer salad! :)
    beautiful veggie pictures!!!

    ReplyDelete
  8. Congratulations Emily!!! Now you get more letters next to your name! :)
    As a side note, when you go to your farmers' market, you can ask if the farmers grew the produce they're selling. Sometimes they don't and ship it in from elsewhere. Since managing the CSA at school, I've definitely been more diligent about asking farmers these questions.
    And a roasted beet, goat cheese, walnut, and spinach salad is excellent. Just pair it with a red wine vinaigrette and you'll be good to go!

    ReplyDelete
  9. Hooray! You passed! I had no doubt! :)

    ReplyDelete
  10. Congratulations!! That is such an incredible accomplishment. We in the blog community are lucky that you share your expertise with us!

    As for beets: I do believe that roasted beets can be truly fantastic. The texture becomes much more like a butternut (or similar) squash. The classic combo of roasted beets + goat cheese is pretty unbeatable, too! If you really need to mask the flavor/texture, though, I've seen some interested chocolate-and-beet cake recipes - never tried it, but hey, chocolate makes EVERYTHING better :)

    ReplyDelete
  11. I read you passed your RD exam on Gina's blog! Just wanted to say congrats! I love RD bloggers out there!!

    ReplyDelete
  12. Congrats! I first read the news on gina's blog. That is so awesome. Very well deserved after all your hard work.

    Looks like you have lots of good produce in your hometown.

    ReplyDelete
  13. Congrats on passing--you must feel great!! :)

    I love beets but haven't ever cooked w/ them. I'm intrigued by that risotto, it looks beautiful!

    ReplyDelete
  14. CONGRATS on passing your RD. I just found your blog and I really love it. Saw that you went to SLU, how cool, I never see many STL bloggers! I am originally from Belleville, IL, but I reside in San Antonio, TX now.

    Ill be reading!

    ReplyDelete
  15. Congratulations!! What do you foresee for yourself now that you've passed THE exam?

    My last experience was beets was quite off-putting, but I don't think the cook knew what she was doing. Ughhh. I need a good dish like this to improve my opinion of beets.

    ReplyDelete
  16. congrats RD!!! woo hoo!!!

    i have always loved beets - even when i was a kid i always loaded up on the canned pickled stuff at the salad bar. now i prefer them roasted.

    ReplyDelete
  17. I love beets ,esp cold ones.
    Congrats to you!

    ReplyDelete
  18. I'm late with the congratulations, but nonetheless super excited! Hope you celebrated this weekend! what wonderful news. ps- I recently changed my mind about beets. I like them.

    ReplyDelete
  19. I just saw the news on Gina's blog - congratulations on officially becoming an RD!! What a wonderful accomplishment! I hope I can follow in your footsteps a year from now :)

    I love beets pureed into chocolate baked goods - yum!

    ReplyDelete
  20. I don't like beets, but then again, the last time I tried them, I might have been 5. This, however, looks like a good way to re-introduce them into my world!

    ReplyDelete
  21. I'm sold on anything that uses beets!

    P.S. Congratulations on passing the exam! You are going to be wonderful at your job!

    ReplyDelete
  22. Congratulations on passing your RD exam!
    I adore beets, I like the smaller ones because they are more tender and sweeter. My favorite way to cook them is to drizzle olive oil and roast at 425 F for 45 minutes or until tender.

    ReplyDelete

Leave a comment; I'd love to hear from you!