Wednesday, October 7, 2009

tea obsession & zucchini muffins

I can’t believe it’s already Wednesday! Favorite things of the moment:

Tazo Green Ginger Tea. I love coffee, but lately, I’ve converted into a tea drinker [or maybe I just bought this variety because it is my favorite green color]

100_6276    

I love the spiciness of the ginger and the hint of pear. Any tea drinkers out there?

100_6273

Zucchini muffins with dark chocolate: someone bought 6 zukes at the farmers’ market over the past couple of weeks…

100_6253

Zucchini Muffins {adapted from Smitten Kitchen}

Yield: 24 muffins

3 eggs
1 cup olive or vegetable oil (applesauce)
1 3/4 cups sugar (1 cup)
2 cups grated zucchini
2 teaspoons vanilla extract
3 cups all-purpose flour (ww pastry flour)
3 teaspoons cinnamon (3 + if you love cinnamon like me)
1/8 teaspoon nutmeg
1 teaspoon baking soda
1/2 teaspoon baking powder
1 teaspoon salt
1/2 cup chopped walnuts or pecans (omitted)
1 cup dried cranberries, raisins or chocolate chips

Preheat oven to 350°F.

Line 24 muffin cups with paper liners.

In a large bowl, beat the eggs with a whisk. Mix in oil and sugar, then zucchini and vanilla.

Combine flour, cinnamon, nutmeg, baking soda, baking powder and salt, as well as nuts, chocolate chips and/or dried fruit, if using. Stir into the egg mixture.

Bake muffins for approximately 20 to 25 minutes.

Spaghetti squash: other people reminisce about childhoods filled with delicious baked goods or foods we don’t let ourselves eat regularly anymore. I remember my mom making us spaghetti squash…I guess that’s what I get for growing up in a house full of health nuts.  A little olive oil, carrots, parmesan, garlic, and lots of black pepper = perfection.

100_6270 

Some of you might remember a little commentary I did on Kimberly’s Snyder’s Good Morning America appearance earlier this summer. I’ve since been chatting with Kim about alternative medicine and nutrition and have a little interview on her blog if you want to check it out. I participated in this exchange because I want to help bridge the gap between nutritionists who focus on alternative medicine and allopathically trained dietitians. I think we can learn a lot from eachother…I will also be featuring an interview with Kim later this week, so check back soon.

What are your thoughts on alternative medicine? Anyone have experience with different therapies? 

Tomorrow I’m watching a cardiac catheterization…so glad it’s not a major invasive surgery {there is a reason I didn’t go to med school}.

0

13 comments:

  1. mmm I'm a tea drinker! more so with the cooler weather. I've never tried ginger, but it sounds wonderful. I usually go for mint green tea. yummy muffins, I'm loving quickbreads lately.
    You know I've never made spaghetti squash?! I've got to try that asap
    wow, that's awesome you get to watch that. Actually I would probably pass out, I'm so terrible with that kind of stuff. I think that's why I can't do clinical. I about passed out when I saw a feeding tube placement, terrible! Happy Wednesday :)

    ReplyDelete
  2. i'm really interested in alternative medicine, I don't see it as a replacement of the conventional medicine, but like an alternative, a supplement. looking forward to read more about it! :)

    ReplyDelete
  3. I just found your blog and love your approach to being a Dietitian. I am on my way to becoming an RD and can not wait to do my internship!!! I always feel like I will end up studying Holistic Nutrition eventually, but first I want the science to back me up! So nice to see there are others in the medical field of nutrition with an open mind. You are so cute!
    Check out my blog... www.startingoffhungry.wordpress.com, I can't wait to read more from you
    Cassandra

    ReplyDelete
  4. love the starbucks to go mug! :) i need to start drinking some tea in the morning. i've been drinking coffee every morning, and although i love it, i LOVEEEE a good mug of tea! esp chai from teavana :)

    ReplyDelete
  5. Your home cooked recipe makes me want to cook all day today! And tea is definitely a fav of mine. :)

    ReplyDelete
  6. I totally love all tea and lately I have been reaching for any flavors that have ginger in them. I drink hot tea in the colder months to keep warm cause my boss keeps our joint office like an icebox....ok maybe not that bad but I'm always cold in the late fall/winter.

    ReplyDelete
  7. Again, Emily I am so proud of you!! I was so amazed by her blog post and your interview. Actually, I was even amzed by her knowledge, now that I understand where she's coming from a bit more :)
    I just bought some green tea yesterday and am on a mission to start drinking it once a day, or so. I hope I like it!

    ReplyDelete
  8. I think alternative medicine is something to look into. We've used it for thousands of years so it must be working!

    ReplyDelete
  9. I love tea, and I love zucchini muffins. Let's get together and have both!

    ReplyDelete
  10. Those muffins look great. I think alternative medicine and nutrition has a place, but some things are excessive and if it goes against science I am really into believing it. I don't like that some of these alternatives are very costly and some people will opt for these things in place of spending money of actual food. Sadly I have seen this. Spending $500-1000 month is a bit pricey for my taste. Some people are really out to make a buck and scam people who just want to believe in something so easy and this is what puts a bad taste in my mouth for the others out there who are legit and have actual knowledge about something. Just putting in my two cents!

    ReplyDelete
  11. I think alternative medicine can work with tradtional medicine in many circumstances. Our nursing program is certified as a Hollistic Nursing program as well. So, many of our instructors are strong believers in massage and some natural herbal remedies. It is very important that patients understand that they must be very careful when using herbal remedies as they can have serious reactions with other herbs and medications. I am a big advocate of massage and accupuncture. But, I think nutrition or food is the biggest factor in staying well or becoming ill.

    ReplyDelete
  12. I've been drinking tea every night now that it's so cold!
    Would acupuncture count as alternative medicine? I think those Korean herbal medicines really are potent and useful. I know many people who have benefited from them. It doesn't work miracles, but it does help in the long run.

    ReplyDelete
  13. I love tea, especially in the winter and fall. Tazo Passion tea is so good... raspberry zinger... blackberry sage. It's so nice to have a hot mug in your hands, steam in the air!

    ReplyDelete

Leave a comment; I'd love to hear from you!