Monday, September 28, 2009

de-stressing

I really loved reading about your life ambitions…they definitely made me smile. Dream on, blogworld…you’re all amazing.

Even with a crazy workload this weekend, I didn’t exactly bury myself in the books. I ran in my favorite park, made a trip to Soulard, and went to yoga {stress = unbelievable muscle tightness…ick}. My roommate (also a dietetic intern) got a bunch of basil from the community garden at her rotation site, so we had our first experience with homemade pesto. It was pretty delicious.

100_6116 

[note the tomatoes, lettuce, and zukes from farmers’ market]

I also made a coconut black beans, which incorporated 3 of my favorite ingredients: black beans, avocado, and coconut milk. This dish is also a good way to include protein, fiber, and monounsaturated fat (and medium chain triglycerides in the coconut oil) into your eats. Oh, that’s also mango on top. Interesting combo, but I promise it’s really good!

100_6074 

I baked homemade bread from scratch. There is something really therapeutic about sticking your hands in dough or mixing ingredients with a spatula. Baking has always been one of my stress relievers.

 100_6092   

Why is chronic stress harmful?

When faced with stress, a flood of hormones is released in the “flight or fight” response. Normally, the body is able to recover from acute stress. However, continual or chronic stress can be damaging and may lead to conditions such as

  • impaired immunity
  • depression
  • diabetes
  • hair loss
  • heart disease
  • hyperthyroidism
  • obesity
  • ulcers

What are some ways you ease the stress in your life?

I have a huge test tomorrow, but I’ll be back after that for a post on the progress the SLU interns made in our gardens this morning [it was a seriously good time].

100_6126

I also start my cardiovascular rotation tomorrow, so there’ll likely be some posts on heart-health coming soon...

0

p.s.

Kristen of Eating RD tried out Dan’s Pumpkin Spice Bars…read her review here!

18 comments:

  1. Mmm, homemade pesto sounds very good!

    Good luck on your test!!

    ReplyDelete
  2. Coconut black beans!! Sound delicious! So does the homemade pesto! :)

    And chronic stress is never fun! I didn't handle it very well and I'm glad that I am much less stressed now!

    ReplyDelete
  3. Didn't Kristen's bars look like they turned out great. I will need to try this when I get back home to my husband. Good luck on your test. I agree the bread making is therapuetic. I love kneading dough.

    ReplyDelete
  4. I saw Kristen's bars yesterday, they looked so amazing!
    I love reading about you and your roommate's food creations. Bread from scratch? Pesto? So impressive. I can't wait to get a nicer kitchen so I actually enjoy hanging out and cooking in it.
    The coconut and black bean salad sounds like Nick's DREAM, I might have to make that for a birthday treat or something.

    Have a great night!

    ReplyDelete
  5. wow that bean dish sounds delish - will have to try it!

    ReplyDelete
  6. you're doing great job on dealing with stress... i'm sure all the workouts and cooking help! my way to deal with stress? pretty much like you.. continue with the normal healthy habits and do what I like most! :)

    ReplyDelete
  7. I cry at work quite often...if only it helped relieve the stress more! Running works well. I like to bake too...takes my mind off of everything!

    ReplyDelete
  8. Thanks so much for visiting my blog. I wish I had more time to up-keep it - life is busy (I am sure you understand). I will be graduating in December and hopefully can spend more time on it then. When are you done? Your blog is wonderful! Baking and cooking are also some of my stress reliefs. Good luck with your CV rotation!

    ReplyDelete
  9. Mmm, I love all the things in the coconut blackbeans recipe. I'm going to print it out and give it a try one of these days!

    Good for you for making an effort to de-stress. I need to follow suit and do that too. I'm really bad about letting stress make me miserable.

    ReplyDelete
  10. Ah, stress! What would life be without it? I have a good friend I call who can always manage to keep me grounded. Also FACIALS!

    ReplyDelete
  11. When life is particularly stressful I do a couple of things to help deal with it. First is I try to get in a good hard workout. I find that when I'm really stressed and I get in a workout I work harder and longer and always feel amazing afterward. I also find that if I read a book where I get sucked into the story for a while helps me relax because I stop focusing on my issues during that time.

    ReplyDelete
  12. What a perfect weekend! Can I just come eat with you? All the food looks and sounds amazing. Off to check out that coconut black bean recipe now - YUM!

    ReplyDelete
  13. coconut black beans sound awesome :)

    i really need to find a way to de-stress. I am ALWAYS anxious or stressed. I dont no how to shake it. i try deep breathing, essentail oils, hot baths.. i just cannot relax:(

    ReplyDelete
  14. I call my dad and scream hysterically, then calm down. And I also listen to praise music, which sometimes is even more effective.
    I've had hair loss because of stress before...NOT fun...

    ReplyDelete
  15. those bars are already on my to-do list ;) good luck with the exam, hope it goes well!

    ReplyDelete
  16. I'm so glad you got to destress with yoga :) much needed!

    that coconut black bean salad sounds like a great recipe to give a try :)

    ReplyDelete
  17. Thanks for the link to my review, they really are pretty darn amazing and worth every ingredient :) Isn't pesto awesome? and it's so easy. I tried it with lemon basil and it's on another level! I'm so jealous of your garden. ah yes, stress, I've had my own bout with that and I still have struggles. It's so easy to tell someone it's okay, things will be fine don't worry, but it's so much easier said than done. I find that exercise really helps to take my mind off things as well as cooking/baking :) I have a very active mind so subconsciously thinking about not thinking (if that makes sense) also helps me :) and also positive thoughts. Good luck on your test, you're going to kick butt!

    ReplyDelete

Leave a comment; I'd love to hear from you!